Broomhall Nursery Newspaper ~ 2011

To mark its 80th anniversary

Donated by Broomhall Nursery

In 2011, the Nursery celebrated its 80th year  having first opened its doors on 15th September 1930. Parents and teachers marked this anniversary by researching and producing a newspaper containing selected highlights from throughout the years.

You can browse the full newspaper in the document (PDF) viewers below beneath this extract. Window 1 contains pages 1 – 4, window 2 contains page 5 – 8.

Through the years:

The nursery’s log books from its earlier years provide a fascinating insight into some of the events which took place during the first half of its life to date.

15th September,1930:
The nursery opens, with 23 children admitted. By 31st October,over 100 are on the roll, aged from 2¼ to 4¾. 

1932:
A measles epidemic hits the nursery, and one child sadly dies.

1934
Outdoor sandpit opens. 

1937:
Visitors to the nursery come from all over the world. In 1937, visitors came from as far afield as Australia. The nursery later receives visitors (usually teachers or students on exchange programmes) from South America, Detroit in the USA, Germany, Holland, Uganda, South Africa, Brazil and Malta. 

1937:
Wendy house arrives and quickly becomes the most popular toy in the nursery. It cost £11 19s 11d. 

1938:
The nursery holds its first garden party on 9th July. The house had to be used, as well as the outside, due to the unsettled weather. The nursery raised £7 9s 7d. 

1939:
The school is closed for eight months due to the start of the Second World War. Around 50-60 children are evacuated to Melton Mowbray. 

1940:
The school re-opens, but only from 11am to 2.30pm, due to air raids. It is then closed again due to the Blitz, with 23 of the school’s windows broken. 

1946:
The school is visited by a photographer from The Star, with the pictures published on 8th July. 

1955:
Teachers receive guidance from the deputy director of education on how to “lure dad into the nursery.” Tips include “If the wheelbarrow has been broken in play that day, ask him if he could fix it. Flatter his vanity.” 

1959:
A warm summer as the paddling pool is in use for several weeks. Children take their daily sleep outside from 1st February. 

1970:
The bungalow is developed on the grounds of the former 6 Broomhall Road. 

1990:
The nursery celebrates its Diamond Jubilee.

This page was added by Jennie Beard on 26/12/2014.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this: