“Dr. Arthur Jackson of Wilkinson Street, Sheffield, died in 1895 in his fifty-second year. He was a very fervent lover of his birthplace, Sheffield, and his researches respecting its former inhabitants were many and very valuable, coming into the possession of the city of the death of his wife, and now forming the much conned Jackson Collection in the Reference Library in Surrey Street. He was the fourth son of Henry Jackson, surgeon of St. James’ Row, the eldest being Dr. Henry Jackson of Cambridge University, the second and third dying in childhood; and Arthur, the youngest, was educated at the Collegiate School and Cheltenham College. He studied in the Sheffield Medical School and the Infirmary, his father being one of the honorary surgeons at the latter Institution, and later, the young man studied at Barts.
His father died just when the son had qualified, so the latter came straight back to Sheffield, being there associated with Mr. Jonathan Barber. He married a daughter of Mr. Bernard Wake, and on the death of that gentleman, succeeded him as Treasurer of Hospital. Very early in his active life in Sheffield, he became established as consulting surgeon; his manner was blunt, and to those who only knew him superficially, sometimes brusque, but there was a world of kindness behind the manner, and he was greatly liked.”
Taken from the book, The Making of Sheffield 1865-1914 by J.H. Stainton
Publisher: E.Weston and Sons, Change Alley, Sheffield, 1924.
Sheffield Archives & Local Studies 942.74 S