“Mr. James Veall died at The Elms, Collegiate Crescent, in August, 1906. He was educated at the famous Milk Street Academy and apprenticed to the cutlery firm of Messrs. H. G. Long & Co., Rockingham Street. Incidentally, it may be mentioned that going through the history of these fifty years it is very obvious that, in the earlier half, Rockingham Street was a very favourite business centre, especially for cutlery works, right away from the Moor to Broad Lane, and many very large businesses were built up in that brick-built region.
After his apprenticeship Mr. Veall joined Messrs. T. B. Needham & Co. of which, at that time of his death he was managing director. When he joined it the staff was thirty strong, when he died it had risen to 1,000, and when the enquiry on False marking was held in Sheffield Mr. Veall was the first witness. He had previously lived at The Summer House, Norton, and was grandson of Mr. James Cleverley Veall, Lord of the Manor of Burlesdon and Dodswell, Hants.”
Taken from the book, The Making of Sheffield 1865-1914 by J.H. Stainton
Publisher: E.Weston and Sons, Change Alley, Sheffield, 1924.
Sheffield Archives & Local Studies 942.74 S